Monday, July 25, 2011

Les Bouchons

The food at Les Bouchons was good. Simple by Singapore standards, but fresh, and the skill of the Chef showed through. When ordering the salmon, I made sure the fish wasn't cooked in any sauce or crumb and asked for the fries on the side. I checked that the salad dressing contained nothing suspicious. The best way to avoid both gluten and confusion in Singapore is to not expect that restaurant staff know about allergies, let alone gluten, and to simplify things as much as possible.

The high point of the night came when my friend and I decided that we were much too full for desert, but a bit of cheese might just hit the spot. We asked if they had any rice crackers and after going back to the kitchen to check, the waiter came back out and said, 'I'm sorry we don't have any rice crackers, but do you have an allergy?' Impressed, I said 'yes - gluten', and the waiter proceeded to explain that they could put the crackers on the side and that I could eat the fruit.

The second surprise was the size of the cheese platter. Cheese is not cheap in Singapore - especially French cheese served with good wine in a quaint little restaurant with a Parisian feel. When the platter arrived, we thought they must have combined two portions on the one plate. No, it was the platter to share, directly from the menu.
Cheese platter with crackers isolated.
Just when I think I am getting to know Singapore, she surprises me with giant helpings of gluten free cheese.

Les Bouchons is on Ann Siang Road, near Chinatown.

No comments:

Post a Comment